As we approach the halfway point between National Signing Day 2013 and NSD 2014, we figured this was a good time to offer up an Auburn recruiting overview. Without further ado, here it is ...
Safey Derrick Moncrief could contribute early.
Total commits: 13
Available spots: 12, estimated.
Rating Breakdown: 0 five-stars, 5 four-stars, 8 three-stars in the 247Composite; 1 five-star, 7 four-stars, 5 three-stars in the 247Sports rankings.
Avg. rating per commit: .8925 in 247Composite
National ranking: No. 15 in the team recruiting rankings, which uses 247Composite.
SEC ranking (total overall points): No. 8 in the team recruiting rankings, which uses 247Composite.
SEC ranking (highest avg. rating per commit): No. 6 using 247Composite.
THREE KEY COMMITS
1. Tre' Williams, ILB, Mobile, AL (St. Paul's Episcopal): Williams is a huge get for numerous reasons. Too many to list, in fact. But for starters, he is awfully talented. He also gives Auburn a major prize out of Mobile, arguably the most important recruiting area for this program.
2. D'haquille Williams, WR, Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.: Auburn needed a stud receiver in this cycle and landed a big fish with Williams. He not only is the No. 1 Juco receiver, he's the No. 1 Juco prospect period.
3. Derrick Moncrief, S, Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.: We could have chosen a handful of guys for this spot but went with Moncrief because A. He's an excellent prospect and B. He should be able to hit the field right away in 2014..
Getting D'haquille Williams to commit while on his official visit. We figured this one would drag out a little longer given the big-name programs also involved. But Williams liked what he saw and heard, and made his pledge while on campus.
D'haquille Williams is an important commit.
It has to be the recent de-commitment of four-star center Joshua Casher. After picking Auburn in March, he seemed to be all Tigers. But then he visited Alabama in June and inexplicably skipped Auburn's recent camp, which several commits showed up at. Despite this development, it still wouldn't be a shock to see him end up back with Auburn.
Raashed Kennion. The three-star defensive end from Jacksonville (Fla.) First Coast is 6-feet-6, 228 pounds, is extremely quick and has the body to add weight. He's raw and will need to develop physically but definitely has some strong tools with which to work.
SMARTEST STAFF MOVE
As it got closer to the announcement date of four-star quarterback Brandon Harris, the Auburn coaches got the vibe Harris was going to pick LSU. Rather than waiting for that announcement, Auburn moved on quarterback Sean White. As soon as the Tigers offered, he jumped and Auburn had its quarterback for 2014. Had the Tigers waited, they might have lost out on White. Also, they were able to avoid any talk about getting "beat" for Harris. For Auburn, it was a win-win.
THREE TOP TARGETS
1. Ronnie Clark, S, Calera, AL (Calera) -- It's an Auburn-Alabama battle for the big-bodied safety, and he will end the suspense in August. Clark, the No. 68 overall prospect in the 247Composite, can be that hybrid safety/outside backer in the Auburn system. He's a physical specimen.
2. Racean Thomas, RB, Oxford, AL (Oxford) -- Auburn already has one running back (Kamryn Pettway) for 2014, but hopes to add "Roc" to the class. The No. 4 back in the class and a five star in the 247Composite, he is a talented player with home run potential. Thomas has started to develop a friendship with White.
3. Rashaan Evans, OLB, Auburn, AL (Auburn) -- An Auburn legacy, Evans is a top-100 national prospect. He also is considering Alabama, Georgia and UCLA. Evans had an excellent showing at The Opening, and would be a major pickup.
Dameyune Craig. Auburn's co-offensive coordinator has been the lead recruiter on seven of the team's commitments. Craig is No. 2 right now in the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings.
We like Auburn's chances of finishing strong and landing a top-10 class.
Want to enjoy all of the premium content on AuburnUndercover.com? Click HERE to find out how to receive access to the latest in Auburn athletics FREE until DECEMBER 1!!! Get all the breaking news, insight from the best staff of insiders in the market, and join a lively message board community. Also check out our recruiting database and enjoy quality content from football, basketball, baseball, and other Olympic sports.
Already have an account? Sign In