In partnership with CBSSports.com
The place for Tiger fans to talk football, basketball and recruiting
The place for Tiger fans to talk about everything Auburn and not!
Buy and sell your Auburn Tiger tickets here.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
I was thinking this morning about what would bring the fan base back together and of the reasonable choices I do not see a good answer.
1. Retain Chizic - absolutely would tear the fan base further apart though probably unify the fans against the program.
2. Petrino - while being a solid choice bc of his coaching record there would be a huge divide in the fan base bc of his off the field issues.
3. Jimbo - whileost agree he is a solid coach there is a loud minority that thinks he has drastically underperformed at FSU and can not cut in this league.
4. Gus - split about half and half but many assume he does not have the experience needed.
5. Any coordinator - will be liked by some as an up and coming coach but most will say AU can and should do better.
So I ask you what is the best direction for our program with no clear cut consensus. The safest choice IMHO is Jimbo but it is also the least exciting.
It's an excellent question.
Practically speaking, Auburn could hire the Trinity and there would be a malcontent subset of the family who would be pissed off that our team probably wouldn't practice on Sunday anymore.
I just dont think anyone will make everyone happy. But to answer your question, I'd say a proven professional coach from outside the family. Jeff Fisher, Pete Carroll. Bob Stoops would probably be positively viewed by most.
Of the names that we've heard, my take is that Jimbo Fisher will make 'more' of the family happy than any other name. Gus just isn't ready yet, though one I day I think he will be. Petrino is just trouble...God knows we had enough of that this year.
Petrino would unify the fan base after he wins 11 or 12 games in his first year. He is the only logical choice out of who is available.
Out of your five I would rank it from the least opposition to the most upset.
5. retain Chiz.
Alabama delenda est.
I would love to have Petrino simply because he would walk in and tell the prima donna players to sit down and shut the hell up or get to stepping.... Which is exactly what some of these d-bags need, but Petrino would definitely cause more of a rift than any others..... Now if you're asking what would be the cause for most upset it would be:
1. Retaining Chizik - Gogue and Jay Jacobs would need to barricade themselves in an armed bomb shelter.
2. Coordinator hire - Basically same reaction.
3. Petrino - We have a lot of morality judges in the fanbase and they would be up in arms with this....until Petrino ripped off a couple of 10+ win seasons, and was beating UGA and the like, and keeping it in his pants.
4. Gus - Would be a joke hire in my opinion. Just another Auburn Good Ole Boy Hire. Sorry, I think Gus will be a great head coach, but he is a coddler just like Chizik and that's the last thing this program needs right now.
5. Jimbo - I have been overly critical of Jimbo, but am starting to come around to the idea. Especially if he could bring D. Craig back home and a few others with him.
6. The happiest and most unifying thing that could happen with the fanbase would be some crazy hire like a really proven guy. I know it won't happen by any means, but a guy like Carroll or Jim Harbaugh would be something that everyone would get behind. They both have proven success in college and are both doing relatively well (really well for Harbaugh) in the NFL.
Now if you don't agree with any of that, I'll revert your attention to my signature pictures and you will become entranced and you will agree with everything I said. The End.
This post was edited by ColaChiver 20 months ago
I was going to put a witty joke here, but I forgot bama fans still use picture books. So I thought I'd expedite the process for you...
Agree that there is no clear cut consensus on who AU should hire. I am in the CBP corner, but if Jeff Fisher is a valid reality, then I think he would be the one that would unite the fanbase more than anyone else.
IMHO, the real issue is JJ. I think if JJ is not fired/moved by the end of the academic year, then the AU faithful will be heard loudly. I think if Gogue brings in a new ad (Etheridge or Les), it won't be as big a blow as to who the new HC is.
AU fans and $$$ folks want to see a new regime in the AD. PERIOD. I agree. It is time to clean house of any Dye influence and cronies.
Again, this is why the Pro-Petrino crowd cannot be respected, they never offer any other options, it's Petrino or no one... at least the anti-Petrino crowd offers different options... and Petrino could not win 11 or 12 games in his first year, that just shows how little you know about football if you really believe that...
I do not think AU has ever really been All In. We have always been splintered fan base.
This post was edited by AUhomer 20 months ago
What you pro-petrino don't get is that who always leaves his jobs suddenly and unexpectedly, and yes it wasnt his choice to leave Arkansas, but it was his choice to put his sex life ahead of his team and school when he hired his mistress, he knew that if he got caught that he would likely get fired, and people act like he turned ole miss or vandy around, Arkansas was in the SEC championship 2 years before he got there, they were not a bad team, and his only trip to a BCS bowl was thanks to Cam paving the way for him...
My thoughts from talking to many Auburn alums and fans.
1. Bob Petrino 70% of the fan base would support this hire.
2. Jimbo 65% in favor.
3. Malzahn 70% in favor
4. Kirby Smart 60% in favor
5. Chizik 0 % in favor.
6. Bob Stoops 95% in favor
70% for Petrino? You're Crazy, the ammount of argument just on AUC proves that less than 70% want him, and you have to take into account the majority of our fan base who are older peole, alumni, and don't get online to talk to you, it's more like 40% at most would support petrino... the petrino crowd even admits that most people don't want him at Auburn
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports