In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1203
Online now 1362 Record: 9788 (12/4/2012)
The place for Tiger fans to talk football, basketball and recruiting
The place for Tiger fans to talk about everything Auburn and not!
Buy and sell your Auburn Tiger tickets here.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Kentucky pulled away in the second half to beat Auburn 75-53 at Auburn Arena on Saturday night. Story to come.
Greetings from Auburn Arena. ...
* Late Auburn All-America Mike Mitchell's jersey is being retired. His family is on the court to accept a framed jersey from athletics director Jay Jacobs. Charles Barkley, Wesley Person and John Mengelt, whose jerseys are also retired, are on the court as well.
I am one over the few guys still covering Auburn who covered Mike Mitchell. He was an unbelievably good player.
* Auburn players take the floor to a thunderous roar from the crowd. The students always turn out at Auburn Arena, but tonight they have a bit more help.
* It's 4-4 at the first media timeout with 14:31 left. Neither team is shooting well, but it's a rough and tumble game. Ashaud Dixon-Tatum, off the bench, has a dunk putback and rejected a shot by Nederens Noel, Kentucky's shot-blocking specialist. Mark it down: Dixon-Tatum will be a force to be reckoned with before this season is over. Heck, he already is.
* Auburn is getting wide-open 3-point shots, but they aren't falling.
* Chris Denson, out for four weeks with a stress fratcure, is in the game.
* Both teams are playing very hard and neither team can make a shot. Auburn leads 6-4 at the media timeout with 11:28 left.
* Auburn is 3-for-19 and Kentucky is 3-for-15from the field, which is why it's 6-6 with 9:44 left.
* Two free throws give Kentucky an 8-6 lead.
* Chubb hits a layup, Payne gets a steal, is fouled and hits one free throw. It's 10-9 with 8:23 left.
* Kentucky finds some rhythm and gets out to a 16-11 lead at the media timeout with 7:01 left.
* Auburn has had open shots inside, open shots from 3, open shots all over the place and has missed and missed and missed.and trails 18-13 with 5:10 left.
* Josh Wallace, the shortest player on the floor, goes to the basket, scores and is fouled. Timeout with 4:53 left. Wallace misses. It's 18-15.
* Kentucky leads 20-15 at the last media timeout of the first half with 3:52 left.
* Dixon-Tatum gets a putback, Sullivan drives to the basket for two and is fouled. His free throw slump continues. It's 27-23 with 44 seconds left.
* Poythress hits a free , Kentucky rebounds and gets a dunk. Just like that it's 30-23.
* Dixon-Tatum goes to the line with 6.3 seconds left. Calipari whines at the officials way too much.
* Dixon hits wo to make it 30-25.
* Kentucky turns it over with 4.8 seconds left. Sullivan is knocked down on a 3-point shot and nothing is called. Half is over.
* Kentucky jumps out 37-27 with 16:52 left. Not saying they are wrong, but calls are certainly not going Auburn's way.
* Kentucky isn't missing much now. The Wildcats lead 44-33 at the media timeout with 14:54 left.
* Jordan Price is in the game and misses the first 3-pointer he tries.
* A three-point play gives Kentucky a 51-37 lead with 13:06 left.
* It's starting to get away from the Tigers now. Kentucky leads 55-39 at the media timeout with 11:47 left. If they are going to make a run, it has to start soon.
* It's a blowout now. Kentucky leads 63-45 wth 7:30 left.
* Wow, and I thought Auburn has a chance. Kentucky leads 71-45 with four minutes lft. Auburn is 0-for-16 on 3-point shots. Bad night for the home team.
This post has been edited 21 times, most recently by PhillipMarshall 15 months ago
One of the best ever, he was an NBA all-star as well.
You must have covered him as a cub reporter :-D
“they ain't got nothing but people...Alabama mystique...Georgia mystique...they’ve done it with people. Hell, we’ve got people, too.”Pat Dye
Not really. He arrived in 1974. I was the assistant sports editor at The Birmingham Post-Herald.
Phillip , are the recruits having a great time ?
I know I was a freshman at AU that year, too. Always enjoyed your articles in the P-H - couldn't stand the B'ham news.
Not a good start for Chubb after that jumper. Tatum is the only one that can match Noel's intensity.
If you cant be honest....whats the point of being anything?
All that orange shows up well on TV - anyone just see the spot they just did on Lutzy? Could have been and probably is part of the AU recruiting video! Good TV press.
"Get in where you fit in." Life is, Too Short TL;DR
On TV sounds like the crowd is doing their job !
I'm with you fellers, War Eagle!!!!!!!!
Gotta hit open shots.
Can't let this run keep going.
da Gus Bus
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports