In partnership with CBSSports.com
The place for Tiger fans to talk football, basketball and recruiting
The place for Tiger fans to talk about everything Auburn and not!
Buy and sell your Auburn Tiger tickets here.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Elements of his program that is about to shock the SEC:
- Speed - Auburn will play faster than any offense has ever played
- Fit - AU will play to the strength of the talent on the roster
- QB Play - Gus and Rhett will always develop a Top half of the SEC QB
- WR play improvement - CDC, Rhett, and Gus will get more out of WRs than ever before through exacting attention to technique. Expectations to line up correctly, create space through pump fakes and combo routes, and catch balls will make a big difference.
- RB Downhill Running - we have the RBs to get the job done, we may not have that ultimate speed back like OM, but we should be able to run downhill with the lead play if Nick Marshall is our QB
- Suddeness in skill player recruiting - Jason Smith is a great example. Look for more OM type players to go with downhill strong runners. WRs and RBs will flock to Gus's program because they will see the opportunity to run in open space with a QB who is a threat to run, a QB who effectively uses pump fakes to make double routes effective in creating space, and a QB who gets the ball out on time.
- OL roadgrading despite being a spread team - our OL will be bigger and faster than most spread teams which will enable more downhill running
- DL - AU will be the first spread, hurry-up team to play this fast with a strong DL, can you imagine what Oregon would do in the PAC 12 with our DL? Yes AU will play vs. the Elite programs in the SEC, and we will compete at a higher level than our talent should allow thanks to Gus's scheme. Speed will be the equalizer.
- Fitness - There is a BRAND NEW DAY Strength and Conditioning plan and mindset. thank goodness. Our team will be in better cardiovascular condition to handle playing fast. I can't imagine having to suddenly pick up conditioning in one week of prep as an SEC defensive player. That would be tough.
- Scheme will be tough to prepare for in one week - Gus will throw wrinkles in every week, it will be extremely tough to pick up conditioning to face AU in one week, getting lined up defensively vs. AU on every play as we are playing faster than any other team they see will be impossible, Gus throwing new formations in the mix will confuse.
- CB and S play - is there any doubt that our coaching talent has been significantly upgraded?
- DL Coaching - CRG will get the most of our a talented group of players, he is old school and his DL know exactly where they stand, we always grow more under teachers who demand more, CRG demands a great deal with a firm hand. DL need that to truly grow in the trenches.
- Star Position - Allows AU to field an effective, unpredictable defense that can match-up to a lot of spread offenses and traditional pro-sets. Justin Garrett is helping us already.
- LB Play - will improve with reducing to just two, look for Kris Frost and Mckinzy to take the reins at our two LB positions. These guys are going to play faster than we have in the past few years at LB.
DE pressure off the edge - AU has a tradition of DEs who bring pressure and that should only improve, Gus and Ellis want an attacking and unpredictable defense
Special Teams Play - Gus will continue to offer schollies to top Punters and Kickers, our PR and KR will be top-notch as they will be recruited for Gus's offensive system.
- Hiring men of character - this deliberate action by Gus in the hiring of his staff should help with recruiting, coaching, developing talent, keeping our poise on the field during tough times, and help eliminate the negative PR that has been unleashed by the REC and other jealous programs who don't want Auburn to soar.
- This staff ROCKS! It starts with Ellis Johnson's experience, grows into Dameyeune Craig and Rodney Garner's passion for Auburn and recruiting, then builds from a strong OL foundation with Coach Grimes, our DB play will improve immediately under Harbison and Smith, Horton is a recruiting addict - that's a great thing!, Rhett Lashlee is a future coaching star who is on the same page with Gus Malzahn which really helps. Gus brought in one great staff with a ton of SEC and big-time football experience!
- Gus as a former HS coach giving other HS coaches a chance - this will pay huge dividends for years to come in recruiting. AU will get short-term and long-term benefits from Gus giving back to his former HS coaching colleagues
- Gus walking the walk - Gus is the highest level leader I have seen in College football. He's a man of character, god fearing, a work-a-holic who loves football and his family, appreciates the position he is in and is giving HS coaches a chance to break into College coaching just as he got a chance to do, he no longer has a defensive coaching holding him back, he knows the priority is to win - but also to help young men prepare to win in life, letting his coaches do their jobs - Ellis getting to hire his coaches, Rhett having a say on offensive coach hiring, hiring recruiting-addicted coaches like CRG, CDC, CTH - heck Gus hired 3 recruiting coordinators from top programs in one fell swoop, AU is now the #9 class and climbing - and we appear to be hiring to fit our scheme and not just the star rankings, Gus appearing at more AU Athletic events than any other coach. Gus believing in work, hard work, believing in Auburn and loving it! I mean WOW! Gus is bringing it early and often!
(For the short term 2013 season) I see AU winning 8+ games in a transition year with Nick Marshall as the X Factor that could deliver us to a higher win total. Jeremy Johnson will be the future for us where Gus will finally be able to get a QB who will play in back to back years in his system which will really help.
I sincerely believe that Gus Malzahn is building a game-changing football program that is going to be extremely difficult for others to copy.
War Damn Eagle!
"A CHAMPION NEVER TAKES SHORTCUTS HE ALWAYS PAYS THE COST TO BE THE BOSS"
I don't know if this will all be real, but I sure do like the possibilities.
Just curious... but why do people continue to utilize the quote function, especially when it's a damn essay, on this site just to say " nice read wde"?
I was going to put a witty joke here, but I forgot bama fans still use picture books. So I thought I'd expedite the process for you...
Love the optimism!
I shouldn't have in my previous post, but it might not be clear who I am replying to without it in this case. I know that I have forgotten to quote in some cases, and I have been asked who I was talking to.
"Those blue jerseys put the fear of God in people" -Pat Dye
Thank you. For those of us reading AUC on a mobile device it's doubly annoying to scroll on and on through these long quotes with one-sentence responses.
Not trying to be a complainer, but please don't quote an entire long treatise if you're just making a general comment. Thanks and WDE.
I share in the OP's optimism, though I'm not so sure it's going to happen overnight. Without strong QB play (and it takes both talent & experience) we could look like the 2011 version. But in two or three years I'm convinced people will ba talking about Gus the same way they do about Chip Kelly.
Alabama delenda est.
What some people do in this case is quote it but go into the quote and delete all but the name or the point you're responding to.
Life Partners Forever_________ nic loves fineScum
I love this staff! And I just hit 500 posts... War Eagle!
Thanks for the pointer, Aubie. I hadn't thought of editing the quote,
I agree and am are just as optimistic as you AUTALON. I enjoyed your post
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." Teddy Roosevelt
I Believe Auburn and Love IT...4 Life!
You should prepare yourself to live with the consequences of your decisions, whatever they may be.
"Get in where you fit in." Life is, Too Short TL;DR
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports