In partnership with CBSSports.com
The place for Tiger fans to talk football, basketball and recruiting
The place for Tiger fans to talk about everything Auburn and not!
Buy and sell your Auburn Tiger tickets here.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
AUBURN – Down 7-1 in the fourth inning, Auburn’s baseball team came back hard Sunday at Plainsman Park. But in the end, No. 2 Vanderbilt held on for an 8-6 victory and sweep of the weekend series with the Tigers.
Story to come.
Greetings from Plainsman Park where Auburn will try to salvage one game in its three-game series against No. 2 Vanderbilt.
When teams look back on SEC baseball seasons, no games are bigger than Sunday games when they are down 0-2 in the series. If Auburn wins, it will be one game behind Vanderbilt. If it loses, it will be three games behind. So it's a very big game.
* I reported Saturday that Auburn had played its fifth consecutive error-free game. That was not accurate. The Tigers have played four consecutive error-free games and five in their last six games.
* There is no relief from Vanderbilt's pitching staff. Today's Commodore starter is Philip Pfeifer, who is 2-0 with a 1.32 ERA. Auburn will counter with Rocky McCord, who is 2-0 with a 3.44 ERA and has had back-to-back strong outings.
Here are today's lineups:
Tony Kemp 2B, Jack Lupo LF, Conrad Gregor 1B, Connor Harrell CF, Mike Yastrzemski RF, Vince Conde 3B, Tyler Beede DH, Joel McKeithan SS, Chris Harvey C, Philip Pfeifer LHP (2-0, 1.32 ERA, 27.1 IP, 18 H, 4 ER, 28 SO, 10 BB).
Jackson Burgreen RF, Jordan Ebert 2B, Cullen Wacker LF, Garrett Cooper 1B, Ryan Tella CF, Damek Tomscha 3B, Patrick Savage DH, Blake Austin C, Dan Glevenyak SS, Rocky McCord RHP (2-0, 3.44 ERA, 18.1 IP, 7 R, 18 H, 16 SO, 9 BB).
TOP OF FIRST
* Kemp walks on five pitches. Not the way McCord needed to start.
* McCord called for a balk. Kemp goes to second.
* Lupo sacrifices Kemp to third.
* Gregor flies out to left, scoring Kemp. It's 1-0.
* Harrell singles to center.
* Yaz walks on four pitches. Runners on first and second.
* Conde pops out to first. Inning over. The Commodores got a run on a walk, a balk, a sacrifice bunt and sacrifice fly. They take advantage of opportunities. So far this weekend, Auburn hasn't.
BOTTOM OF FIRST
* Burgreen rips a shot to third, but Conde makes yet another terrific play. He's been great all weekend.
* Ebert flies out to center.
* Wacker lines a single to center.
* A balk sends Wacker to second.
* Cooper grounds out to second. Inning over. Getting the big hit has eluded Auburn all weekend.
TOP OF SECOND
* Rhett Wiseman walks on four pitches. Wow.
* McKeithan sacrifices Wiseman to second.
* Harvey lines a double down the right fielder line and the leadoff walk comes back to haunt Auburn again. It's 2-0. Auburn got six leadoff walks Saturday and managed to get just one run.
* Kemp singles to right. Looked like Cooper should have made a play. Runners on first and third.
* Lupo bunts back to McCord, who throws Harvey out at home. Not sure why you call the squeeze in that situation.
* Gregor doubles to the wall in right-center, scoring two runs. It's 4-0 and Auburn is in serious danger of being swept right on out of here. That's it for McCord.
* Justin Camp is on to pitch.
* Harrell flies oiut to right. Inning over. Damage done.
BOTTOM OF SECOND
* Tella hit by pitch.
* Tella steals second.
* Tomscha gets ahead 3-0 and flies out to right.
* Savage bloops a single to center. Runners on first and third. One out.
* Austin flies out to center, scoring Tella. It's 4-1.
* Glevenyak strikes out swinging. Inning over.
TOP OF THIRD
* The error-free streak is over. Camp can't handle a ground ball and Yaz reaches first. Vandy has had a free baserunner to start every inning so far The first two scored.
* Austin throws Yaz out trying to steal.
* Conde walks on a 3-2 pitch that looked a lot like a strike.
* There's another error and a costly one. Ebert fields Wiseman's grounder for what could have been a double play. He airmails second base and the run scores. It's 5-1. Two errors this inning, though the first one was erased when Yaz weas caught tealing.
* McKeithan singles to center, scoring another run. It's 6-1 and out of hand.
* Kemp singles off Glevenyak. Runners on first and second.
* Lupo walks.
* Gregor fouls off five straight pitches and then pops out to shortstop. Inning over. Vanddy is up 6-1.
BOTTOM OF THIRD
* Burgreen walks. Amazing how many leadoff walks Vandy pitchers have given up the last two days.
* On the first pitch, Ebert grounds into a 4-6-3 double play.
* Wacker grounds out to second on the first pitch and the inning is over.
TOP OF FOURTH
* Harrell flies out deep to center.
* lines a single to right-center.
* Conde strikes out swinging.
* Wiseman doubles to the wall in right-center, scoring another run. It's 7-1.
* That's it for Camp.
* Terrance Dedrick is on to pitch.
* McKeithan singles to deep shortstop. First and third. Two outs.
* Harvey strikes out swinging. Inning over.
BOTTOM OF FOURTH
* Cooper singles to left.
* Tella tries to bunt his way on and is out at first. Cooper goes to second.
* Tomscha doubles into the left field corner, scoring Cooper. It's 7-2.
* Savage grounds out to second. Tomscha goes to third. Two outs.
* Tomscha scores on a wild pitch. It's 7-3.
* Austin, of all people, puts down a perfect bunt and has a base hit without a throw. That was a shocker. Shocked Vandy, too.
* Glevenyak lines out hard to left, where Lupo makes a sliding catch.
BOTTOM OF FIFTH
* Kemp singles to center.
* Kemp tries to steal on Austin again and pays the price again. He's out. Austin has thrown out seven of 10 baserunners this season.
* Lupo flies out to right.
* Gregor flies out to left. Inning over.
* Burgreen draws yet another leadoff walk
* Burgreen goes to second on a wild pitch.
* Ebert walks on five pitches. Runners at first and second.
* That's all for Pfeifer. Right-hander Carson Fulmer is on to pitch.
* Wacker sacrifices the runners to second and third. Not sure I get that. We'll see if it pays off.
* Fulmer is bringing it. Last fastball was 93 mph.
* Cooper hit by a pitch on a 1-2 count. Big chance for Tella. Ball hit Cooper in the wrist and he's in pain. Cooper stays in the game.
* Tella strikes out on three pitches.
* Tomscha lines out to right. Inning over. Opportunity wasted. Don't understand the sacrifice bunt when big hits have been so hard to come by. Gave away your No. 3 hitter.
TOP OF SIXTH
* Harrell flies to right.
* Yaz singles to right.
* Conde walks.
* Wiseman flies to right. Runner to third.
* McKeithan grounds out to shorstop. Inning over.
BOTTOM OF SIXTH
* Savage lines a single to right on an 0-2 pitch.
* Austin lines the first pitch to left for a base hit. first and second. Nobody out.
* Glevenyak sacrifices the runners to second and third.
* Burgreen singles to left, driving home two runs, and the game is on. It's 7-5.
* That's rotten luck right there. With Burgreen running, Ebert hits a screamer but Kemp makes a leaping catch for the easy double play and the inning is over. Regardless Auvburn has gotten back into the game in a big way. It's 7-5 through six.
TOP OF SEVENTH
* Tella makes a diving catch of Harvey's line drive.
* Kemp walks on four pitches.
* Lupo flies out to left.
* Kemp goes all the way to third on a wild pitch.
* Gregor intentionally walked. Runners on first and third.
* Harrell grounds out to shortstop. Inning over.
BOTTOM OF SEVENTH
* Left-hander Jared Miller on to pitch for Vandy.
* Wacker flies out to center.
* Kody Ortman batting for Cooper, which tells me Cooper's wrist is hurting.
* Ortman flies out to left.
* Tella walks on a terrific at-bat. Just kept fouling off pitches.
* Tomscha flies out to center. Inning over.
TOP OF EIGHTH
* Yaz doubles down the left field line.
* Conner Kendrick on to pitch. Good outing for Dedrick.
* Wiseman lines a single to right, scoring Yaz. It's 8-5.
* McKeithan pops out to second.
* Harvey grounds out to shortstop.
BOTTOM OF EIGHTH
* Savage strikes out swinging.
* Austin grounds out to third.
* Glevenyak doubles off the left field fence.
* Hunter Kelley bats for Burgreen and doubes into the left-center gap, scoring Glevenyak. It's 8-6. That was his first college hit.
* Ebert grounds out on a terrific play by McKeithan at shortstop. It's 8-6 going to the ninth.
* Kemp flies out to left.
* Lupo pops out to shortstop.
* Gregor grounds out to second. Inning over. One more chance for the Tigers.
BOTTOM OF NINTH
* Wacker called out on strikes on a pitch that was clearly high. Wacker rips off his helmet in frustation and Pawlowski also comes out to argue to no avail, of course.
* Closer Brian Miller is on to pitch. He's pitched in every game.
* Ortman strikes out swinging. He was overmatched by the sidewinding Miller.
* Tella rips a double to right. The tying run comes to the plate.
* Tomscha flies out to center and the sweep is in the books.
This post has been edited 34 times, most recently by PhillipMarshall 16 months ago
The sweep is on..... Still no clutch hitting and McCord doesn't look like his past two starts right now.
Looks like its going to be a long sec schedule for the baseball Tigers....just like the basketball and football tigers....
This post was edited by TheRealRanRob 16 months ago
If you cant be honest....whats the point of being anything?
PM I rarely question you. But where are you seeing a good baseball team in our tigers? Can't even get more than 3 runs in three games? And I know Vandy is good and their pitching is good. But even good teams give up hits to other good teams? Right?
T me it looks like more of the same from the last few seasons. Good enough to beat the browns of the world. But not even close in sec play. I mean we have what 5 hits this weekend? And inconsistent fielding and pitching for us .
To me it's about to look like a sub .500 league team for us again.and I can't figure out why. And how we have fallen froma top tier sec baseball team to a cellar dweller year in and year out baseball team.
Thats a wrap y'all. No way in hell we score 4 to even tie this game up......
Can we just go hire Casey Dunn now???? This is sickening. No way a once proud baseball program deserves to look like this.
And there is no recruiting ban or any type of uniform excuse to use on this program. It's just flat mind blowing that we have become this damn bad in baseball.
Thanks for the blog PM. You do great work. Sad you have to sit through all this garbage live.
ON TO VICTORY - STRIKE UP THE BAND
I'm watching the game, and it's not like Vandy is playing good today. We can't hit hitable pitches, two errors (classic JP baseball), and our starter lasted 1 2/3 innings. Sure, he had two good previous outings, but against who? Auburn will most likely start out 0-6 in the SEC and will have an uphill climb just to make the SEC tourney. Pitiful.
#HUNH try and stop us!!!!
"An Auburn Man needs no introduction"
"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." J. Caesar
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports